The Meat and Dairy Industries' Harmful Effect on the Environment

Veganism Conclusion: Taste Buds Underwhelmed
Tuesday December 04th 2007, 3:09 pm
Filed under: A. Foust vegan journal

Last night was probably my best vegan meal in Seacobeck. A big salad with broccoli, white beans and tomatoes, green beans and kidney beans, corn and kidney beans, hummus and tortilla chips, and couscous. I watched my friends down chicken pasta and I honestly did not crave it. I will definitely crave everything non-vegan when I go to my mom’s and she’s cooking delicious, tender, free-range chicken breasts for dinner and breakfasts of eggs, French toast, and bacon. I am ready, though, to be a vegetarian. It makes me feel bad that I found a strong enough deterring factor only after this research. I cannot go back to eating livestock I know consume the disgusting, unnatural meal of ground up dead animals because that is being put into my body. The mistreatment of animals always deeply upset me, but not enough to abstain. I guess I am with the rest of my species in that compassion only goes as far as what does not affect my own comfort and pleasure.

I am only going to consume organic, free-range milk, eggs, cheese, and yogurt. Which means I am going to be a vegan for all intents and purposes in Seacobeck and the Nest. This is how I will start the new year. Do not ask me how long it will last. It will be much easier–maybe even possible–if I do not have to renew the meal plan. You can put money on the fact that I am a reformed pet food buyer for life, though. There’s no way my best friends are eating their pals who did not make it out of the shelter and road kill! How did humans come to this? An obsessive state of hyper production no doubt. An excuse: a dream of a land without want. But research upon research tells us that much of the grain is diverted to fatten livestock, ninety percent of which are produced in feedlot systems (Brenmuhl), no longer able to grow naturally, as intended, by grazing in pastures. This is ensuring a large portion of the world’s rapidly growing population will go hungry.

I believe it is not natural or healthy to be as obsessed with meat as our culture. With the current expanse of peoples across the globe dwarfing the amount of livestock produced humanely, it is nonsensical. We are plagued by diseases such as cancer, stroke, and heart disease that we have caused ourselves with gluttonous practices. There is to telling if we can ever revert back to localized farming, supported by the communities who consume the produce. Somehow, though, I do not see any way of undoing globalization. My steak knife could very well be retired permanently.

Comments Off on Veganism Conclusion: Taste Buds Underwhelmed